patriarch

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

(Scott Kuhn) wrote in
om:

wrote in message
if you are trying to do what I think you are trying to do, it's pretty
different from what I'd call a finger joint. here's what I'd call a
finger joint:
http://www.azwoodman.com/joints/finger-joint2.jpg

is that what you are after?

No, that is what i will eventually be after, but right now it's much
simpler...

ascii art rarely communicates well. if you have a scanner or a digital
camera or a drawing program on your computer either capture the images
from the book or draw us a diagram and scan it or whatever and post it
to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

I took a few pics and posted them he
http://home.comcast.net/~scott_d_kuhn/index.html

So now that it's clear what joint I'm trying to make, how would you
make it accurately and repeatably? I stopped in my local Woodworking
store and asked a guy there, and he said he'd do it on a jigsaw or
maybe a bandsaw.

Thx to the previous posters for the resources and info. The book by
Rogowski mentioned by Patriarch looks great and is now in my
Amazon.com shopping cart.

--Scott

If the pictures are the ones that showed up earlier this evening on abpw,
then mostly the tools you need to cut this simple joint are readily
available. A good little saw, on which you can spend anywhere from $10 up
to more than $100, a square for marking the cut lines, and either a sharp
pencil, or a razor-type knife.

Since you're starting out, pick up the hobby saw marketed under the name
ZONA. It has replaceable blades, cuts with a very thin kerf, and is the
maybe $10 model mentioned in the previous paragraph. And, lest you think
that it has no class at all, it is the handcut dovetail saw of choice of
one of the graduates of the College of the Redwoods woodworking types that
regularly hangs out with our woodworking club. Or a Japanese style pull
saw, or similar.

Maybe a chisel to clean up the cuts. And a block plane to trim the joints
to close fit after glueup. Or use sandpaper wrapped around a block of
wood.

Now, the question of repeatability comes up. How much repeatability are
you after? Do you want to cut 4 of these joints? Or 400? Or 4000? If
the answer is 4, then use the hand tools, and practice, and work with care.
If you want to do 400, then a jig or fixture on the table saw or router
table will help you cut them repeatably, quickly, and fairly safely. If
you need 4000, then find Morris Dovey, and have him program his massive CNC
robotic cutters, and sub out the job. ;-)

You see, woodworking is a bit like economics. There are a few questions,
many more answers, and no one can really prove any of them wrong. But
things DO tend to get more complicated than we ever intended, when once we
started.

Enjoy the learning experiences. That's where the value comes, in my
limited experiences. That, and making people smile.

Patriarch