Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default I invented a 2-phase DC battery pack

On 12/4/2013 2:49 AM, wrote:

as credible a refernce as you can get, a paper delivered at an IEEE conference of power engineers, where the author/speaker, says there is a 180 deg phase relationship, that you do have two phases. He's the author
of a whole bunch of very technical papers on power engineering, all
published by the IEEE, a peer reviewed group. Is he and the IEEE nuts too?

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/artic...number=4520128

"Which now brings into focus the reality that standard 120/240 secondary systems are not single phase line to ground systems, instead they are three wire systems with two phases and one ground wires. Further, the standard 120/240 secondary is different from the two phase primary system in that the secondary phases are separated by 180 degrees instead of three phases separated by 120 degrees."

As I have responded twice already, the author is suggesting a change
from how "distribution engineers" view this - that is in the first
(missing) sentence. The author suggest a change to view split-phase as
two phases. Where did anyone agree with him?

This source ("distribution engineers") supports my view.

Maybe we need an english teacher, not an engineer.

http://www.behlman.com/applications/AC%20basics.pdf

Says the same thing.

Thats the one with a 2-wire circuit, hot and neutral, with the hot
labeled "Phase A"

And I'm still waiting for someone on the other side of this to provide
their definition of the engineering term "phase".

For my amusement I looked at a major transformer manufacturer.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...me=TB00900004E

Eaton defines "Phase: Type of AC electrical circuit; usually
single-phase two- or three-wire, or three-phase three- or four-wire".

I would define a meaningful use of "phase" as using the "imaginary" axis
in a phasor representation. Split-phase uses just the "real" axis.

Eaton has no single phase transformers with 2 phases on the secondary.