Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default Choosing Furnace Efficiency

"morty" wrote in message
On 12/03/2013 01:27 AM, Big Giant Head wrote:
I know the pros of the super efficient furnaces. What are the cons? The
ones being considered are Carrier Performance Series. What are HVAC
techs
putting in their own homes?

High efficiency furnaces are trouble-free for the first 7 years or so but
then furnace hell begins.

I paid $420 to have the draft inducer replaced on a 9 year old furnace.

One of the vacuum safety switches also failed but that repair was only
$140.

So any fuel savings is easily offset by higher initial cost and huge
repair bills.

You can usually get a Service Contract-mine is through the Gas Co--and it
covers all the components that you mentioned. My only problem with a 6 yr
92% was the flame sensor. Other than the contract cost my out pocket $$$$
was Zero. Actually, you saved money if these were the first costs you've had
in 9 yrs vs paying for a contract over that time frame.
Gas company periodically sends a flyer on how you're doing relative to the
average users and to neighbors. My fuel costs are only 4% higher than the
most efficient and way better (lower) than all the others. So fuel cost
savings is a major factor.
MLD