Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Wrong 12V plug on PSU for computer monitor?

John Rumm grunted in
news
On 03/12/2013 23:18, Lobster wrote:
Roger Mills grunted in
:

On 03/12/2013 00:30, Lobster wrote:
I have a flatscreen monitor whose (separate) PSU has died and needs
replacing. It's a 12V 3A unit, and as luck would have it I happen
to have a similar one going spare from a netbook which I no longer
have.

Be very careful! If the two power supplies have different IDs, it's
for a good reason. One will be stabilised and the other won't. An

How would I know if one PSU was stabilised? There's nothing relevant
written on either of them AFAICS. The working PSU was a laptop
charger - is that likely to mean it might be stabilised and that the
purpose- supplied item for a monitor might not have been?

Its is almost guaranteed that both will be switched mode supplies (and
hence regulated / stabilised)

Thanks John. Looks like the next step is to try and get inside the welded
faulty PSU without damaging it, and work out whether it's the flex that's
broken or the electronics; if the flex is OK I'll transfer it to the new
PSU via solder/heatshrink.

--
David