Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default 8" blade recommendation

On 12/3/2013 9:41 PM, j wrote:
On 12/3/2013 7:56 PM, Bill wrote:
j wrote:
I rip a lot of 2 by stock (white pine) and I'd like to upsize the
blade. I like my Diablo 40 tooth 7 1/4" but it is a hair too small on
my Sears "cut your fingers off" radial arm.

I've got a variety of old carbides in 8" and 10", but I've grown to
like the narrow kerf.

What's decent on a budget?

One that's sharp that you already own? Why do you want to use thin-kerf
blade to rip 2-by stock (just asking)?

Well, I'm no expert, so may reasons may seem a little dumb...

1) They seem to cut faster and cleaner.
2) Less sawdust.
3) More slices out of a 2 by. Not that white pine is expensive, but
finding good white pine to rip into 1/2" slices is hard. I've gone to
2x6's because it seems like they make them out of better stock.

Cheers,
Jeff

I'm in a big city, Atlanta, so I have a number of places to shop.

Jeff

I think the 2x10 and 2x12 are cleaner than the 2x6
Most of what I see in those sizes are very clean.

--
Jeff