Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Choosing Furnace Efficiency

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:07:17 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/3/2013 7:17 PM, wrote:

Right, that is why the OP has to run the numbers for his situation. Few
houses in the north can be heated for $500 a year.

In the last 20 years I have never spent $700 for natural gas here in
Ontario Canada. That is heat and hot water.

I know people that will spend that much in January. You save $116 in a
year, they save $116 in a single month. But we still cannot draw any
conclusions for the op

Figuring in the hot water usage, the savings would work out to about
$90 a year if I had put in a 96% over an 80%. What I put in is a
"high efficiency non condensing" 2 stage furnace - supposed to be
86-90% efficient. Most of the time it is running on low output, which
is supposed to make the 90%.

When I had it installed, putting in the high efficiency condensing
furnace would have cost me over $800 more - for an extra 6%. - to save
about $30- $35 a year.. Even if I saved #40 a year, it would take 20
years to pay for it, and I DOUBT this furnace will last more than 20
years. The original was about 30 years old. So 10 years ago I didn't
put in a condensing furnace. My brother did - and it's been replaced
already. If I was replacing it today, it would be a high efficiency
condensing furnace because that's all I can buy now here in Ontario.