Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default 8" blade recommendation

On 12/3/2013 10:47 PM, wrote: On Tue, 03 Dec 2013
22:31:09 -0500, j wrote:

On 12/3/2013 8:06 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
j wrote:

I rip a lot of 2 by stock (white pine) and I'd like to upsize the
blade. I like my Diablo 40 tooth 7 1/4" but it is a hair too small

on my
Sears "cut your fingers off" radial arm.

I've got a variety of old carbides in 8" and 10", but I've grown

to like
the narrow kerf.

What's decent on a budget? I'm in a big city, Atlanta, so I have a
number of places to s

Freud LU83R008 works very well on a RAS. Seems to have gone up in
price lately, but still available for about $40 at Tool Barn:

http://www.toolbarn.com/freud-lu83r0...FS4aOgodDBsA0A

Well. I've learned a lot about saw blades.

For one thing, everyone recommended some variety of Freud Iindustrial.

Well, you did say that you were on a budget. Otherwise the
recommendation would probably be Forrest or Ridge. ;-)

Yes, I figured I was getting the best of the "bottom end". It's good
enough for me.

I'd rather spend the blade money toward a change of equipment. I'm
thinking of a mid range table saw and a compound sliding miter saw.
Theoretically the radial arm can do compound angled cuts, but the set up
is difficult and takes a lot of tweaking, at least it does on my stump
maker.

I built my euro style (not face frame) kitchen cabinets with a battery
operated 5" skilsaw and a straightedge.

Cheers,
Jeff