Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default 8" blade recommendation

On 12/3/2013 8:06 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
j wrote:

I rip a lot of 2 by stock (white pine) and I'd like to upsize the
blade. I like my Diablo 40 tooth 7 1/4" but it is a hair too small on my
Sears "cut your fingers off" radial arm.

I've got a variety of old carbides in 8" and 10", but I've grown to like
the narrow kerf.

What's decent on a budget? I'm in a big city, Atlanta, so I have a
number of places to s

Freud LU83R008 works very well on a RAS. Seems to have gone up in
price lately, but still available for about $40 at Tool Barn:
http://www.toolbarn.com/freud-lu83r0...FS4aOgodDBsA0A

Well. I've learned a lot about saw blades.

For one thing, everyone recommended some variety of Freud Iindustrial.

And I've got some limited understanding of hook, which I never knew
existed. Apparently too much hook is not good on a Radial arm, although
I don't quite understand why. Roughly I think it is because it pulls the
wood up on a radial arm. I've found myself always using a finger board
when I rip so this may be the "counter" for the blade I use.

I see that recommended cutting thickness varies, and it is different for
this combination blade for crosscut and for rip. I don't understand
this, but I think it has to do with the number of teeth, that certainly
affects the minimum thickness, and I suppose the maximum also.

I'm leaning toward the LU83R00 partly because I do cross cut also, and
perhaps because it looks like a bad boy!

Thanks to all.

Cheers,
Jeff