Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 8" blade recommendation

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 21:41:47 -0500, j wrote:

On 12/3/2013 7:56 PM, Bill wrote:
j wrote:
I rip a lot of 2 by stock (white pine) and I'd like to upsize the
blade. I like my Diablo 40 tooth 7 1/4" but it is a hair too small on
my Sears "cut your fingers off" radial arm.

I've got a variety of old carbides in 8" and 10", but I've grown to
like the narrow kerf.

What's decent on a budget?

One that's sharp that you already own? Why do you want to use thin-kerf
blade to rip 2-by stock (just asking)?

Well, I'm no expert, so may reasons may seem a little dumb...

1) They seem to cut faster and cleaner.

With an under-powered saw, faster, sure. Cleaner?

2) Less sawdust.

Not usually real concern. You're not resawing, are you? ;-)

3) More slices out of a 2 by. Not that white pine is expensive, but
finding good white pine to rip into 1/2" slices is hard. I've gone to
2x6's because it seems like they make them out of better stock.

I guess you are! ;-)

You need a bandsaw. Woodcraft has a nice Laguna bandsaw, too. ;-)