Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Tim Mullen Tim Mullen is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

In "William Sommerwerck" writes:

"Tim Mullen" wrote in message ...

I couldn't care less what people use at home, it's when they drag
these systems into the workplace it becomes my problem. Apple
and Microsoft are not professional products. They're fine for the
home, and I wish to hell they'd stay there.

I don't understand what you mean by "drag into the workplace". Are you talking
about people using their own computers and the security/maintenance problems
this causes? Or something else?

Something else, something far more insidious -- the belief that because
their chosen platform works fine for them at home, it oughta be just peachy
in any enviroment. It becomes tiring explaining to bean counters that, yes
you can buy 3TB disk drives for $100, no they won't work here and the ones
I need are a lot more expensive. Yes, Netgear switches are a tenth the
cost of a Cisco, no we can't get by with Netgear.

It's as if people believed Yugos, Ferraris, and Mack trucks were all
the same because they all have four wheels.

Developers are just as bad. The application worked fine on their garage
peecee, why is it a problem that it only runs on a Mac? Well, I need my
machines to play well with others, and Macs don't. Certain applications
now only run under MacOSX 10.7. I run a CXFS shop. CXFS5.7 doesn't support
MacOSX 10.7. So now I have to upgrade a core infrastructure of 40 machines
just because of one developer.

--
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.