Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wrong 12V plug on PSU for computer monitor?

Scott M explained on 03/12/2013 :
Lobster wrote:

I'm assuming it's possible to
buy a solderable version; otherwise everything I have here is welded
together - is there a neat way of cutting and rejoining the LV flex so I
could recycle what I have? (I wouldn't want to bodge it as I'll probably
pass this monitor on to someone else once it's repaired...)

A soldered on plug should be considered the worse of the two options as
they're a damn sight flimsier than splicing the two cables together. It
matters less for a monitor which doesn't move much but, having done various
laptops, joining the cables is the far more robust solution.

Also, IMO, if you find a solder plug the correct size, they tend not to be as
good a fitment to the socket.

To join the cables, two bits of heatshrink, one large, one small. Cut the
conductors 1cm apart (ie stagger the joins.) Large heatshrink pushed over
both conductors, small on one only - not doing both reduces the bulge at the
join. Big bit of heatshrink covers both joins.

If there is a good staggering of the joints, one large heat-shrink will
cover it and be neater/slimmer.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)