Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:36:40 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/3/2013 8:26 AM,
wrote:
If the ones I replaced in the office last 6 months they pay for
themselves in the summer @ $6 each.. (from what I remember) Takes
significantly longer in the winter as the halogens decrease the
heating fuel requirement significantly.

Electric heat, versus furnace. Not sure what
your heat source is, but most places, electric
heat costs more.

Yup - but if you are figuring pay-back on an investment in "low
power" bulbs you need to take it into consideration. You are getting
the heat from halogens - whether you need it or not. In the summer it
costs to remove the heat. In the winter you save a bit on heat.

With LEDs there is no heat load to remove, and no heat gain to reduce
heating requirements. Doesn't matter which costs more, because you
are not installing gas lights.

If I were using a heat pump one watt of electricity would produce more
useable heat than the halogen and I wouldn't be adding to my cooling
load in the summer, so unless you live in an area that has more heating
degree days than cooling days by a significant ration, using halogens is
just not really a good move