Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_2_] Danny D.[_2_] is offline

Default What do you use for mouse/rat poison (Bromethalin, Brodifacoum,Bromadiolone, Chlorophacinone, or Diphacinone)?

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:23:44 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I called the Feds at 800-858-7378 who told me that the Federal
regulation
has been in effect quite a while so there shouldn't be any leftover bait
at the hardware stores (so I was lucky to find it at mine).

UPDATE:
I called the California Department of Pesticides, and first spoke to
Lisa who got worried about all my questions so she passed me to Ann
who handled the regulatory questions.

California, being the nanny state, does have additional restrictions
over and above what the EPA has (I know, you're shocked).

First off, for *two* reasons, the "Just One Bite II" Bromadiolone I
bought (EPA registration number 270-373) is illegal:
1. You can't sell bare bait anywhere in the USA at a box store
2. You can't sell 2nd-generation anti-coagulants in CA at a box store

Whew. I'm gonna run down to that hardware store and break the law a
few more times, 'cuz that's a crazy law. Ann *did* take the time to
try to explain to me the "why", which was this:

a) Bait stations protect the kids, the pets, and unwanted critters
b) Banning single-feed rodenticides protects the wildlife

The theory, Ann patiently explained, is that the single-feed
rodenticide builds up in the rodent before it dies, simply because
it feeds multiple times, thereby accruing a super-lethal dose; when
it dies, some other critter eats the dead critter, and then that
thing dies.

The theory is that, by banning multiple-feed rodenticides, the dose
will be at the Goldilocks level (i.e., just right) by the time the
rodent dies.

Hmmm....

Anyway, I asked about the *stores* and apparently the rule is really
hazy here. The rule is basically that only stores that cater to pros
can sell the bare bait, and even then, in 8 pound or greater sizes.

When I asked the question of whether I would have to lie and say I'm
a pro, Ann explained that California is *adding* to the EPA regulations
by making two licenses required. One is that the dealer has to be
licensed to sell the stuff; and the other is that the buy has to be
licensed to buy the stuff.

At the moment, this regulation hasn't been approved, but it's in the
works, so, my recommendation to anyone who *wants* bare bait, is to
get it now while you can.

As an aside, the TomCat Bromathalin that is sold at Home Depot and ACE
and Safeway, etc., is sold as a package of "bare bait" plus a bait box.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9828713...n/photostream/

When I pointedly asked Ann whether I could defeat the law simply by
buying the bare bait plus bait box and then throwing away the bait
box, she replied just as pointedly that that's why they want only
licensed dealers and buyers to get the bare bait.

Oh well, California is on to us. So, my recommendation? If you like
bare bait, get it while you can; and if you like single-feed rodenticides
in California, get them while you can too. Cuz' both will be gone soon,
if not already.