Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_14_] SteveB[_14_] is offline

Default I may attempt to murder a gopher ... I just might stoop to thatlevel (so help me God)

On 12/2/2013 3:10 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 01:41:57 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

4. My fourth lesson seems to be that the cheapest effective
way to get rid of the gopher will either be this rat poison
or that Mcabee gopher trap!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7378/1...a5a510a1_o.gif

Trouble is, addlepated gopher wanders out of burrow, is eaten by family
dog or neighbor's cat, and now you have a situation on your hands.
Learn to trap. Use Macabees, and trust me, you will get them, and catch
new ones before they make too much of a mess. Just put the trap at the
freshest dirt, and like you said, rake off the dirt so you can see the
fresh stuff, and that identifies the active tunnel. They will make
several, one for food storage, one for breeding and raising young, and
alternatives for escape routes, and further food gathering when the
roots are ready to be eaten.

It's a pain, but once you learn how to trap, you will get them in a day
or three, they don't make a mess all over, and for some reason, other
ones stay out of the yard, and it's a long time inbetween. Maybe they
smell the tunnels of the removed gopher, and think there's one there,
and respect its territory?

Watch it with the poison. You might have more than a dead gopher in
your yard in the morning.

Steve, King of SW Utah pocket gopher stalkers, Great Poohbah and
Mucketymuck of Gopher Assassins of Utah Lodge #1847.