Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wrong 12V plug on PSU for computer monitor?

On 03/12/2013 00:30, Lobster wrote:
I have a flatscreen monitor whose (separate) PSU has died and needs
replacing. It's a 12V 3A unit, and as luck would have it I happen to have
a similar one going spare from a netbook which I no longer have.

Q1: is there any reason why this putative PSU wouldn't be fit for purpose -
ie is there any other characteristic other than 12V/3A that I need to
consider here?

Q2: Assuming we've made it past Q1 - unfortunately the (LV) plug which
connects to the monitor is slightly but crucially differently sized to the
original, so it won't fit - both are standard-looking concentric plugs (ie
this sort of thing: http://tinyurl.com/mx35688) but the central pin is
evidently larger on the monitor than it was on my netbook (though the
external diameter looks the same). What are the specs for these things -
how do I work out what plug I need to buy? I'm assuming it's possible to
buy a solderable version; otherwise everything I have here is welded
together - is there a neat way of cutting and rejoining the LV flex so I
could recycle what I have? (I wouldn't want to bodge it as I'll probably
pass this monitor on to someone else once it's repaired...)

Thanks for any thoughts
--
David

Be very careful! If the two power supplies have different IDs, it's for
a good reason. One will be stabilised and the other won't. An
unstabilised supply will produce a much higher voltage under no load
conditions, and relies on the load to bring the voltage down to the
required level. The plugs are designed to be different in order to make
them non-interchangeable. If you use an unstabilised supply with
something which requires the supply to be stabilised, damage may occur!
--
Cheers,
Roger