Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Wrong 12V plug on PSU for computer monitor?

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:00:10 +0000, Scott M
wrote:

Lobster wrote:

I'm assuming it's possible to
buy a solderable version; otherwise everything I have here is welded
together - is there a neat way of cutting and rejoining the LV flex so I
could recycle what I have? (I wouldn't want to bodge it as I'll probably
pass this monitor on to someone else once it's repaired...)

A soldered on plug should be considered the worse of the two options as
they're a damn sight flimsier than splicing the two cables together.
Also, IMO, if you find a solder plug the correct size, they tend not to
be as good a fitment to the socket.

To join the cables, two bits of heatshrink, one large, one small. Cut
the conductors 1cm apart (ie stagger the joins.) Large heatshrink pushed
over both conductors, small on one only - not doing both reduces the
bulge at the join. Big bit of heatshrink covers both joins.

Only one thing I'll add to that is I have known a conductor in a flex
break within the insulation where it enters the LV plug sleeve which
may be the cause of an apparent power supply failure.
The OP will probably know more but if there is any doubt it may pay to
check the plug by testing its barrel and socket with the flex
conductors with a meter or even a torch lamp and battery and giving
the flex entry a good wiggle.
It would be a shame to go through the work of connecting the old plug
to the other power supply and find it still doesn't work.
and don't cut the flex too near the plug,leave plenty to make further
joining attempts with if the first one doesn't go well.

G.Harman