Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

"Gary" wrote:
Hi,

Our electrician recommended we replace the 85 50W halogen spotlights in
our ceilings with LEDs. We live in Costa Rica where electricity is
expensive and frequent lightening strikes and power surges blow out
bulbs. If possible we will use 12V LEDs. We will also be adding a whole
house surge protector. Our apartment has recessed CFLs in the ceilings.
Would that be a better option? We have no experience with LED lighting.
We would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Gary

Can't imagine 85 lights.

Can't imagine blowing halogen lights.

Any kind of electronic control is going to be subject to blowing.

Suppressor good idea but not foolproof.

I have a headache.

Greg