Bob Brogan

Default Dust collection flex tubing, what's good?

In article ,
Wes wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:21:40 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

|"Mark L." wrote in message
|news |
| and you're ready, but I would like to know why PVC won't work.
|

|Remember that guy who strapped a JATO to his Chevy Impala out in AZ? He was
|a woodworker too, had ungrounded PVC dust collection in shop. It blew up one
|day.

Folks, PVC is an insulator. You CAN NOT GROUND an insulator. If you
could, you would not be reading this message because none of our
computers (or anything else electronic) would be working.

Repeat after me:

"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"
"I cannot ground PVC"

Yes, PVC is more a dielectric. That said, one puts wire through the
ducts so that it "collects" the charge that is generated by the movement
of the air/wood through the duct. You ground the wire to dissipate the
"static charge".

So while PVC doesn't "conduct", it can generate "Static electricity"
under the right circumstances. That is what you're collecting and
grounding.
--
Thanks,

Ham