Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default "Here... shove your horn in it!"

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

In my never humble opinion, if the printer does a sucessful self test,
the computah is apparently functional, and the fault acts like there's
data loss (blank pages, printing PCL source instead of formatted PCL,
etc), then there's something wrong between the computah and the
printah.

Which was exactly the point of confusion. It's like Dr McCoy in "The Man
Trap" -- "There's nothing wrong with him -- he ought to get up off the
table -- but he's dead."

Remember that not only did yanking the cable produce an immediate "off line",
but the printer simply swallowed the input (which was shown by the Ready and
Form Feed lights blinking), then did nothing. These prove, beyond any
reasonable doubt, that the cable was working fine.

This left the printer, and more specifically, the firmware (on the assumption
that the printer has error messages for just about anything hardware-related
that could go wrong). The obvious problem -- that the SIMMs weren't properly
seated -- appears to have been correct. But the question of how you could lose
access to part of the firmware memory, without crashing the printer, suggests
that the fix was coincidental.

It would have been working when you arrived at the repair shop.
It happens all the time.

"Claro", as the guy in the crazy-generous ad says.

Huh? I haven't seen a TV advertisement since I switched to watching
Netflix. What's a Claro?

It's part of an ad for Vonage flat-rate overseas calling. It's easier to show
than to describe.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7t7j/vonage-g...-at-the-market

"Claro" means "clear". In Spanish, "claro que si" means "of course".

I probably have a good used fuser. I probably also have some
Ethernet print server cards. I'll seperate out the LJ 4/5m stuff
and send you a list.

Thanks.