Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default speaker phasing

On 11/29/2013 01:21 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"dave the dickhead"
Phil Allison wrote:

"William Sommerwerck"

This is a common source of confusion. "Same direction" means "outward or
inward", /not/ same direction viewed from overhead. The same signal
should
produce compression or rarefaction from all speakers.

** Correct.

Phasing similar speakers is all about making the low frequency output
from
each *reinforce* the others rather than cancel.

Compared to the wavelengths of low frequency sound, woofers are a point (
hence omnidirectional ) source of sound pressure - so it is irrelevant
which way the cone faces.

Ideally, a listener should be seated at the same distance from each
speaker
so all time ( of arrival ) delays are identical and do NOT create phase
changes.

... Phil

There is no such thing as correct time of arrival type of phase coherence
in modern electronic media.

** WTF is meant by "modern electronic media " ??

Got nothing to do with my comments, what ever this idiot says.

Everything is close-miked and smeared together with "pan pots"

** Pan pots do not "smear" .

and any spatial sensation is created with DSP.

** Laughably stupid and wrong.

In real life, the stereo "sweet spot" has room for one person at a time.

** Correct.

Due to the criteria I just mentioned.

" Ideally, a listener should be seated at the same distance from each
speaker
so all time ( of arrival ) delays are identical and do NOT create phase
changes."

... Phil

Do you work with roustabouts or what? Modern electronic media like Pop
Tunes and Rock tracks. I don't want to say CDs or downloads or whatever.
I have worked behind the scenes and if you bring up time alignment
outside the context of an electronic crossover for loudspeakers you get
blank stares. Yes Pan Pots suck, almost as bad as graphic equalizers.
The sound stage can only be preserved by recording live with no more
than 1 directional microphone per channel, and both microphones as close
to each other as possible. Then the sound stage is accurately preserved.
Any other approach will degrade phase, time or whatever you like to call
it. I learned this in the rigging at Jones Hall, recording the Symphony
on Nagras.