Dave Hinz

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:03:16 GMT, Leon wrote:
Back during my automotive days it was very important that we used structural
glass adhesive to rebond new replacement windshields and the back glass. I
always wondered how a shattered windshield provided much support.

They don't shatter much in a rollover, and the strength they provide
will be during the first roll, when most of the energy is dissipated.
Even in the most impressive rollovers I've seen (4 or 5 rolls)
the windshield still was mostly intact... the plastic layer inside keeps
it in place, and it'll still have strength in tension even if the glass
is cracked.

Rear windows, yeah, they'll break into tiny granular, not-very-sharp
pieces. But, the C-pillars are much stronger, I'm guessing the structural
contributions of the back window are trivial compared to the windshield.

Dave Hinz