Old Nick

Default Speaker box question

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:18:29 -0500, "Swingman"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Driver design ... some drivers are designed to be ported, others not. There
is a good deal of magic/art in correct porting of a specific driver for a
certain sound and the size of the box, despite the physics involved and the
manufacturer's recommendations.

Yep. everything to spec, and it still sounds not right.

I used to build my bass cabinets based on
the old Dietz design, which was a favorite for bass players in the "old
days" and I experimented with many different porting sizes and designs on
most of them ... AAMOF, I still play through an old Altec 15" bass speaker
in an original Dietz box that I customized the porting on..

I once designed and built some horn-loaded, vented bass speakers for a
PA, using some JBL 15" drivers. It was as efficient as all hell, and
actually sounded good.

I do reckon that a lot of problems with home-built systems are cheap
drivers, trying to get good bass. Doesn't matter what you do.