Kevin

Default Cannot find cheap compass for scribing...

In another life I was a Tool and Die builder and used a device similar to
what John mentions. It is rather simply made.
1. Get a piece of .0625 aluminum (or whatever else your heart desires).
2. Place a center mark and scribe a circle with a .75 radius. This will be
the OD of the tool.
3. Mark out angles from the center point maybe every 10 to 15 degrees and
scribe a faint line.
4. Set the radius on your compass to different settings and swing an arc
over each of the degree lines you marked on the tool.
5. At the intersection of the arc and the line drill a #40 hole.

Now the cut and grind out the tool. Place a scribe in one of the holes and
you can scratch a line around the exterior of what you wish. Sorry if the
description is a bit unclear.

"John" wrote in message
For scribing, a pencil and a washer will do a very good job. Pencil
in the hole in the washer, then run the edge of the washer against the
surface you want to scribe to

Vary the size of the washer to vary the offset from the scribing
surface

John

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:52:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
ers.com...
Dear All,

I am trying to find one of those cheap ass compasses like I used in

high
school geometry to scribe a cabinet to a wall. Think I can find one
anywhere? All I can find are high end ones with things pointing out of

them
that would make them impossible to scribe with.

Any ideas where I can get one? Any better ways to scribe a cabinet to a
wall?

I'll swap you mine for a good one. Yesterday I was cursing my cheap one

and
if the stores were open I'd have bought the high priced quality compass.
It's your if you want it, but Wal Mart is probably closer.
Ed