Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On 11/27/2013 6:35 PM, wrote:

Neither will the IEEE power engineers:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/artic...number=4520128

"Distribution engineers have treated the standard "singlephase" distribution transformer
connection as single phase because from the primary side of the transformer these connections
are single phase and in the case of standard rural distribution single phase line to ground.
However, with the advent of detailed circuit modeling we are beginning to see distribution
modeling and analysis being accomplished past the transformer to the secondary. Which now
brings into focus the reality that standard 120/240 secondary systems are not single phase
line to ground systems, instead they are three wire systems with two phases and one ground
wires. Further, the standard 120/240 secondary is different from the two phase primary system
in that the secondary phases are separated by 180 degrees instead of three phases separated
by 120 degrees."

Not obvious what the author has in mind in the minimal summary of his paper.

He clearly says the standard way of looking at split-phase, 3-wire
supplies is they are single phase. Everyone here but you (that has
provided an opinion) agrees with that.

The author suggests a departure where the 2 hot wires are considered
separate phases for "modeling". And for modeling, if you are looking at
the *currents* in the 3 wires, you have to consider them separate phases
because the currents will be 180 degrees out of phase only if the loads
are resistive. Not obvious what the author is saying beyond that.

But, alas, I don't see where the author's suggestion has been accepted.

The paper confirms what the rest of us have been saying.

My service panel is "single phase". If I replaced it, the only panels
manufacturers have are "single phase". The 2-pole breakers for them are
"single phase".

I propose we resolve this by using L1, in my L1-N-L2 service, as the
reference. L1-N and L1-L2 are in phase.

The standard real 2-phase supplies have 2 transformers 90 degrees apart
with the centertaps connected. Does this then have 4 phases?

In a 3-phase wye system are there 6 phases at the transformers (each
transformer has 2 ends)?