Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grounding a telephone line.

On 11/28/13 2:56 AM, wrote:

And since you mentioned the modems, as I said in my original post, the
phone line ground rod is 50 ft from the power ground rod. Being rural,
my only option for internet is a dialup modem, or spending a fortune on
satellite dish internet, which will force me to have satellite tv, and I
dont watch much tv. Every year I lose at least one modem from
lightning, even if the lightning is miles away. I've partly solved that
by unplugging the phone line from the modem when I'm offline. Maybe
that separate ground is why???? Cuz my phone lines are still wire and
underground.

It might be worth your while to tie the ground rods together with #6
copper. I have no idea what that would cost. #6 is as large as you
need to go when wiring to ground rods.