B a r r y

Default Speaker box question

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:46:26 GMT, Old Nick
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:19:41 -0500, Elwood Dowd vaguely
proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Don't forget air ports. Subwoofers need a lot of air, and they can be
damaged by the pressure difference between inside and outside at higher
volumes. (Don't ask me how I know)

Can you describe that? Serious. I have seen speakers blown by too
_little_ back pressure (over excursion) caused by ducts.

What happened?

Depends on the speaker. Some are designed for sealed boxes, some for
ported. Check the specs.

I've also seen speakers blown the way you describe, but it had nothing
to do with the box. A subsonic noise component drove them right out
of the baskets. G

Barry