View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Copper ho****er tank worth saving?

wrote in message ...
On Tuesday, November 21, 2000 5:54:27 PM UTC-8, Dan Hicks wrote:
Hagbard Celine wrote: Every trades person who comes into our basement tells me we should keep our old Copper King hot water
tank no matter what. Well, yesterday I just paid a plummer $100 to replace the thermostats, and when that didn't work, told
me to call an electrician. The electrician will charge me $200 to replace the elements. Is it worth $300CDN to save this
thirty-two year old copper water heater?You could have a new electric water heater for about that, but you'd pay another $100 for
installation, I suspect.(Kind of a strange water heater where a plumber can replace the thermostats but an electrician is needed
to replace the elements.)

Have the exact same story but have yet to figure out why my thermostat keeps tripping. I was told I cannot get elements for my
Copper King here in BC. The thermostat and elements are easy to change. I was given a quote of $350 for a new tank and $600 to
install it! That is crazy considering it is already plumbed. A new tank will last 10 years if you are lucky but the good news is
the copper tank is worth about $200 at a scrap dealer.

My old electric decided to have all sorts of issues. Culminating with a split that leaked all of the time.
The new tank was on special for two something and required some modifications for elevation and plumbing
fittings. I am not a plumber, but I did my own connections, anyway. :-)

Some plumbers are allowed to do electrical. Some just don't want to. The new restrictions in a lot of
areas make it a pain in the butt to keep a basic electrical license. Plumbers that keep this will do
the electrical.