View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Copper ho****er tank worth saving?

On 11/27/2013 3:14 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 21, 2000 5:54:27 PM UTC-8, Dan Hicks wrote:
Hagbard Celine wrote: Every trades person who comes into our basement tells me we should keep our old Copper King hot water tank no matter what. Well, yesterday I just paid a plummer $100 to replace the thermostats, and when that didn't work, told me to call an electrician. The electrician will charge me $200 to replace the elements. Is it worth $300CDN to save this thirty-two year old copper water heater?You could have a new electric water heater for about that, but you'd pay another $100 for installation, I suspect.(Kind of a strange water heater where a plumber can replace the thermostats but an electrician is needed to replace the elements.)

Have the exact same story but have yet to figure out why my thermostat keeps tripping. I was told I cannot get elements for my Copper King here in BC. The thermostat and elements are easy to change. I was given a quote of $350 for a new tank and $600 to install it! That is crazy considering it is already plumbed. A new tank will last 10 years if you are lucky but the good news is the copper tank is worth about $200 at a scrap dealer.

Perhaps there is a market for antique usenet posts?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org