Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:59:21 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Tim R" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:03:41 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Tim R" wrote in message

If power came out of the wire, something in the wire now has less power.

It doesn't come from the wire -- it comes from the generating device.

Ah. The generator slows down, WITHOUT the wire knowing. Right...

I admit I don't understand it. You appear to not realize you don't

understand it.

You might be right. But the wire is a conduit, not a source.

Think of varying the nozzle opening on a garden sprayer. The hose "knows"

nothing. It just delivers more or less water, based on the water pressure and

how far the nozzle is opened.

Certainly. But you can measure the speed of the water in the hose, and there will be a difference. Or if you want to be closer to the electrical load scenario, have the water in the hose run a small turbine, and measure the energy of the water before and after. You will find the mass unchanged and the velocity decreased, so kinetic energy of the water molecules has decreased by exactly the amount that went into work done by the turbine (and heat and pressure losses).

What is the equivalent change in the electron stream going through the lamp?

Also, I'm not sure your statement "the wire is a conduit, not a source" is consistent with your earlier statement that the wire just connects the zero point. To the load, the wire IS source and return, at the point of connection.