Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default problem with JVC HR-S9600U

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I'm looking for "Yes, there's a straightforward fix" or "No, toss it"
full of wild speculation.

Tapes load, and are wrapped around the drum. But they don't begin
playing. Nor do wind/rewind work.

The capstan is pressed firmly against the pinch roller, but it
doesn't turn. The idler gear (that engages the hubs for playback
tension and wind/rewind) does appear to work, as the hubs briefly
"twitch" when the tape is loaded. The idler gear connects to the
capstan -- turning the capstan rotates the idler gear.

I don't have a service manual.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Hi William,

I think I have the same machine somewhere in my garage. Maybe checking the
ESR of the caps would be a good place to start? I remember at some point
years ago I had to clean the mode switch to correct some strange behaviors.
Be careful of the timing marks if you do remove it. There is a V-notch that
has to be aligned. Again, take a good look at it before you pull it out.

Also, make sure the loading mechanism makes it to the end of its travel.
That tiny loading belt can slip though the power would probably just shut
off if it did time out.

Good luck.
--
David Farber