Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Joiner?

"Morris Sasser" wrote in message

Do you guys think a bench joiner is worth getting? Or should a person get
a stand-alone? Whats your opinion?

If you have the option of either I'd get a floor model of at least 6" width
(8"+ is better for face jointing). Longer beds are important if you are
using long stock... I went from a 6" about 4 feet long to an 8 inch about 6
feet long as the stock I was jointing was so big I had the 6" standing up on
edge, i.e., it was dangerous! There have been more than a few times that
I'd wished for a 12" wide jointer... but with various techniques got by with
the thickness planner.

On the rare occasions I use S4S rather than rough cut I don't think I've
ever had a board straight and flat enough to use without jointing. Sometimes
grabbing an L-N No 5 or No 7 bench plane is the right option while many
times the Delta DJ-20 is the right option.

I find a jointer to be a critical tool in my shop (whether electron or meat
powered).

John