Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/26/2013 6:49 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:

Try this exercise: make a hemisphere 1/4" in diameter.

Seehttp://imgur.com/a/E3J4p for two hemispheres I made in Sketchup.
One was 0.125" in radius and the other was 125" in radius. I used the
exact same technique to make each of them. I was using Sketchup 8.

I've tried it using different techniques in the past, and had
different results, but they were still wrong.

If you can create this shape at 1/4" scale, I'd be interested in
finding out how you did it. I suppose if you're more persistent than
I was, you'll find a way. But as far as I know, the only way is to
make it larger, then shrink it down.

What techniques did you use and what was the error/problem?

I'm assuming you used the "follow me" tool and two concentric circles to
draw your sphere?

Don't have time this morning to check it out, but the first question
that comes to mind is did you "divide" your arc(s) into smaller segments
to get a smoother curve, and if so, how many?

I see how this could be a processor/graphics subsystem limit because
using smaller line segments (100) on an arc eats up a lot of cpu cycles.

Interesting, I'll give it shot this evening, but it would help to know
what error you experienced.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net