Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default getting a cast-iron pan "machined"?

On 2013-11-26, Tim+ wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
On 26/11/2013 16:58, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

You might have a fighting chance to do some smoothing on these just with
normal abrasives on a random orbit sander - working up through the grades
as one would on wood, rather than attempting to mill it in the normal
metalwork sense. All that is really required is smooth rather than truly flat.

Um, not if you're planning on using it on an Aga or similar. In this case
flatness is way more important than smoothness.

I presume the side you want smooth is the food contact side, not the base?

You presume wrong. Most food is a bit floppy. The surface of an Aga is a
machined flat surface. For best heat transfer you want two machined flat
surfaces.

Is this really so hard to understand? The OP presumably used asked about a
machined surface because that's what he wants/needs.

I have a normal gas hob & I'm interested in having a smooth surface on
the top (food-facing) side. I agree with you, though, that flatness
would be important for an Aga.