Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:57:53 -0800

Depends on your application. I agree that .0001" is more than enough for
woodworking, but I can easily imagine machining applications where it's
not enough. When I took introduction to milling and metal lathe classes,
we were expected to machine something to within .0001" even as beginners.

1 /10000 as beginners?
Ridiculous. that's an experienced machinist, not a beginner.
Possible yes, practical.. not at all.

Actually..it is quite possible for beginners to do on manual machines
(CNC..easy as pushing the green button)

Will they be doing this on their own in the first 10 minutes in front
of a machine?

No. But with a mentor..they can be doing it in an hour. Teaching
them to read the mike is a hell of a lot harder to do.

Oh yeah. And still is. Or at least I have to refresh just about
every time I go to use the durn thing.

__

pyotr filipivich