Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Turntable antiskate adjustment

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:59:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
This is my own turntable I've just gotten

out of the closet. I'd like to listen to some of my 70's records. The

unit I'm working on is an old Thorens TD160 turntable with an Stanton

gold body 500 cartridge. The cartridge is equipped with the elliptical stylus

designed to track at between 1 and 2 grams. I'm presently tracking at

1.25 grams without any apparent problems.

I would like to set this up as accurately as possible. I'm hoping that

someone can advise me on this. The manual I have is for a

slightly different unit with a newer tone arm, and all it mentions

about anti skate is to set it just slightly lower than your tracking

weight. It seems to run fine what ever anti skate is set to and

although I've made that adjustment to just over 1, I would like

to be a bit more precise than that if possible.

I thought I recall (way back when) that there was a procedure whereby

you leveled the unit, and then you played this "record" without

grooves. If the stylus remained in one spot without drifting then your

anti skate was correct. If it drifted, then a slight adjustment on the

anti skate was in order. I don't have any such "record" and I can't

think of a way to do something like that without damaging the stylus.

I was wondering if anyone had any further information pertaining to

this procedure? Thanks, Lenny

I saw Britt Floyd in Boston last Spring. If you've never seen them you should. They were incredible. The Wall, they made Pink Floyd sound like the tribute band. Lenny