Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Joiner?

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:08:54 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:11:12 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

.... I don't buy rough cut boards I fi need to straighten a board I use a track saw.

80% - 90% of my work is with rough cut or recycled lumber. I use my stand alone jointer for almost all my projects. I suppose at least half of my jointed lumber is 6' long and longer. I have separate roller supports for infeed and outfeed. I suppose bench jointers are/have very short beds, so they may not be the best for longer (and heavier) stock.

Additional Comments:

For working recycled lumber, have 2-3 sets of extra blades, for when they get nicked, and especially for pre-facing (I often discover previously missed nails, tacks, etc.) prior to using the planer, if applicable. Probably more so with recycled lumber, referencing my practice for getting nicks in the blades, often, learn (and make a jig) to sharpen your jointer blades, rather than sending them out to be sharpened. Self sharpening is less expensive.

Sonny

Same here, Sonny. I use a lot of recycled and rough cut wood. I use my bench jointer (and thickness jointer) all the time. I don't get many nicks in the blades because I use a Lumber Wizard metal detector on every piece of recycled wood that goes into my machines. It was kind of expensive (100 bucks), but it's paid for itself many times.