Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Calvin is offline

Default WallStar oil boiler diagnosis

On Tuesday, 19 November 2013 21:49:36 UTC, Calvin wrote:
Hi,
My WallStar oil boiler (through-the-wall but otherwise conventional, non-condensing, not "system") has developed a fault which I feel is probably easy to fix if someone can help me understand how it's meant to work...
It locks out at some point but then is quite happy to start again if I press the lockout button (inside the outer cover on the burner itself). I've been "playing" and I get the feeling that it behaves itself better if the temperature control is set lower, although at the moment that's just my impression.
I wondered if the flow rate might be compromised somehow (maybe pump going faulty) but I can't hear any kettling.
Any ideas or pointers anyone? Please.

Well it's all sorted now, thanks to my boiler man. He diagnosed a dodgy solenoid which was failing open circuit when it got hot, it sounded like a guess based on lots of experience and sure enough fitting a new one has fixed it.

The diagnosis was made on Friday but it wasn't until today that he was free to fix it and over the weekend I found that if the boiler temp was set to really low (like about 45 degrees) it just about kept going without locking out. That's probably not too good for a non-condensing boiler in the long term but I figured that it would be OK for a few days.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.