Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Fridge freezer, freezer working, but fridge not

On 26/11/2013 20:09, DerbyBorn wrote:
SteveW wrote in
:

On 26/11/2013 12:20, Mark wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 23:24:17 +0000, SteveW
wrote:

On 23/11/2013 19:01, misterroy wrote:
Hi I have a hotpoint fridge freezer, the freezer is working fine,
but the fridge is not getting as cold as t should. The freezer door
was not shut properly last week. I closed it and thought nothing of
it. The fridge started not getting cold. Yesterday I checked the
rubber drain thing at the bach, there was no gunk on it. Inside the
freezer section there are what look like vents, they were frosted
over. I used a hair dryer and the frost I could see melted quickly,
3-4 mins. I thought I had fixed it, but no the fridge section is
still warm today. It is a Hotpoint ff4dx uk.
ta

We have a different model Hotpoint.

If your works in a similar way to ours, then your problem is likely
to be simple. Ours cools the freezer compartment only, then uses a

I wouldn't use a wallpaper stripper!

I have done a couple of times - some of them are even supplied with
nozzles specifically for defrosting freezers, which is where I got the
idea.

I wonder if (apart from melting plastic parts) you can harm the system
by causing too much expansion - leading to over pressure in the gas
circuit?

It shouldn't melt anything, as the steam will be at a maximum of 100°C,
which most plastics will be fine with.

The metal should never get hot, as you are either directing the steam
onto the ice or onto metal still partly covered in ice.

I've done a quick search and it seems to be a commonly recommended
method and I've not found any warnings of problems.

As I said before, some steam strippers are sold with nozzles
specifically for this task - if it was likely to cause damage, they'd be
opening themselves up to legal claims.

SteveW