Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/26/2013 10:11 AM, Edward A. Falk wrote:

I've had a lot of trouble with Sketchup working in sub-1/4"
sizes. I'm making some toys for a friend now with parts down
to 1mm.

Try it yourself at home: make a 1/4" sphere by sweeping a circle
over 180 degrees, or any other way you want.

What I normally do is scale my model up 1000x, work on it, and
then scale it back down.

It shouldn't be like that, and I'm not entirely sure why it is;
precise or not, it shouldn't be so affected by working scale factor.

I see this a lot in models downloaded from the warehouse. You download
a chess set or something, and find out all the pieces are ten feet tall.

Every single item above due solely to total lack of understanding of how
the software works, just as those who use a screw driver for a hammer
won't be happy with the results.

Instead of rebutting the operator error in each statement above, start
here to learn how to correctly use the softwa

http://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos?playlist=58

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net