Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Anybody here using brushless RC motors?

On Monday, November 25, 2013 9:20:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been looking at the brushless motors used for RC planes and the

like. They are amazingly powerful for their size. And they really spin

up fast! One web site has kits you can buy to wind your own armatures.

Anyway, I have been wanting a rotary tool that is a cross between a

Dremel and an air powered tool I have. Something with an OD of about 1

inch. Like a Foredom handpiece. Faster than any of my Dremels but

slower than my small air powered hanpiece that spins at 80,000 rpm. So

I'm thinking one of the "inrunner" type motors might work. At 80,000

rpm the surface speed is about 2600 SFPM. Even though the speed drops

quickly as soon as the rotary tool contacts the work the speed is

still too high for carbide on steel and the burrs and rotary files

dull quickly, which makes them cut slower. On the other hand, the

Dremel and Foredom rotary tools are too slow and this ends up costing

time too. Something that spins about 40,000 rpm and maintains that

speed along with the smaller diameter would be great. In fact, a tool

that was .75 or even .625 diameter would be even better. I have a

dental handpiece that I use for some delicate work and it is just

under .5 diameter and is very easy to hold because of the small

diameter. If I could build an electric rotary tool with the torque of

a Dremel, 40,000 rpm, and 1/2 inch in diameter I would be very happy.

Even one that matched the Dremel torque and speed specs but was 5/8 or

1/2 inch diameter would please me greatly. So, anyone here play with

brushless RC motors?

Thanks,

Eric,

A real 'caution' is that most ESCs are sensitive to the lead length to the battery/power-source, long wire length tends to lead to damaged ESCs.
The fix is added capacitance at the ESC.
Not sure how much is required.

Lead length from ESC to motor is not normally an issue.

I run a few brushless outrunner powered planes, the power is amazing.