Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default getting a cast-iron pan "machined"?

On 26/11/2013 14:27, Bob Minchin wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a double-sided cast iron griddle like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craf.../dp/B0001IWZ8G

but I've noticed that the non-ridged side has the unmachined cast
iron surface, whereas a machined surface is generally considered
better.

http://ask.metafilter.com/148245/Man...Cast-Iron-Pans

http://grannysvitalvittles.com/why-y...-iron-skillet/

Is this something that a machine shop in the UK could do easily &
perhaps cheaply? What exactly would I ask when phoning up --- "can
you just mill the cast surface off an iron griddle?" or something like
that?

Thanks.

Often the problem is holding the item in such a way as to holding firmly
whilst not fouling the cutter path and secondly those sort of items are
rarely flat.

Cast iron ought to be fairly easy to hold with a magnetic chuck. I used
to have a surface grinder that would have done the job quite easily.

All in all a PITA and the charge of even an hours work (jigging,set up
and machining time) send customers away....

That is quite true.

Colin Bignell