Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default getting a cast-iron pan "machined"?

On 26/11/2013 14:27, Bob Minchin wrote:
Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a double-sided cast iron griddle like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craf.../dp/B0001IWZ8G

but I've noticed that the non-ridged side has the unmachined cast
iron surface, whereas a machined surface is generally considered
better.

http://ask.metafilter.com/148245/Man...Cast-Iron-Pans

http://grannysvitalvittles.com/why-y...-iron-skillet/

Is this something that a machine shop in the UK could do easily &
perhaps cheaply? What exactly would I ask when phoning up --- "can
you just mill the cast surface off an iron griddle?" or something like
that?

Thanks.

Often the problem is holding the item in such a way as to holding firmly
whilst not fouling the cutter path and secondly those sort of items are
rarely flat.
All in all a PITA and the charge of even an hours work (jigging,set up
and machining time) send customers away.

I really try and avoid those "can you just" jobs like the plague even
for friends and family to be honest.

You might have a fighting chance to do some smoothing on these just with
normal abrasives on a random orbit sander - working up through the
grades as one would on wood, rather than attempting to mill it in the
normal metalwork sense. All that is really required is smooth rather
than truly flat.

--
Cheers,

John.