Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:06:25 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:03:04 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Are your references from Australia?

Nope. You saw the references. They were all for standard

power distribution in the United States.

For example, this reference from Smith College, Northampton, MA:

http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcarde...ecPwr_HSW.html

Sigh.... The same "How stuff works" reference is still that one
source, no matter how many times various people use it. And it's wrong.

Says:

"The power company essentially uses the earth as one of

the wires in the power system. The earth is a pretty good

conductor and it is huge, so it makes a good return path

for electrons."

That's from an EE class:

http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/Courses/EGR220/

EGR 220, Spring 2013, Engineering Circuit Theory

Taught by Judith Cardell, who researches this stuff:

http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/

All I see at that link is a course outline, nothing that addresses
the earth return issue.

So, why do you constantly disparage my comments when I can

easily prove that exactly what I have said all along is being

taught to electrical engineers in college-level courses?

When you have a link that shows that, I'll be happy to look at it.