Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Monday, November 25, 2013 9:59:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:31:54 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

wrote:

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:10:28 -0500, clare wrote:

Line1 and Line2 are generally red and black, with the neutral white

and safety ground bare or green

Everything you said about the "single phase" center tap made perfect sense.

People keep saying the neutral wires is normally bare, but, I must

say, mine is insulated.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/1...9139da3c_o.gif

Maybe that's odd, for the USA though, 'cuz everyone is saying that

the neutral is normally bare.

The "neutral" is NEVER bare in North America (except in some parts

of rural Sakatchewan Canada, where single wire earth return IS

actually still in limited use)

Oh my lying eyes. I must be hallucinating when I see all those
bare service neutrals run to houses. Or all those base primary
neutrals I see on poles going down the road.....