Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 05:31:45 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 05:55:20 +0100, nestork wrote:

And I can't see why that net voltage sine wave wouldn't energize the
ground cable coming out of the main panel and cause current to flow
through that cable and into and out of the Good Earth.

I loved your description. It was an elegantly written logical
thought process. I like the way your mind works!

To clarify this important issue, this is what I found:
"The power company essentially uses the earth as one of
the wires in the power system. The earth is a pretty good
conductor and it is huge, so it makes a good return path
for electrons."

That was found in an EE class taught by this associate professor:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/

This is the EE class where that concept is being taught:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/Courses/EGR220/
EGR 220, Spring 2013, Engineering Circuit Theory

That statement above is part of the curriculum on power generation
and distribution in the United States:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcarde...ecPwr_HSW.html

So, like you, since the fact the ground is used as the return path for
electrons seems to be as clear as day, I wonder why there are vehement
arguments (some of which are getting unnecessarily personal) that it's not.

I'm ok with the answer being either way. I don't care who is right
and who is wrong (and I'll admit when I'm wrong any time that I am).

But, this one seems clear as the earth revolves around the sun.

But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the earth is *not* used as a return
path for electrons back to the power company.

Q: Can anyone find a reliable reference that refutes the statement
above (taught in EE classes) that the earth is used as a return path
for electrons back to the power company?

Note the "essentially" - it is not "litterally"