Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:03:35 -0500, clare wrote:

I have given you a couple references that "prove" the ground is not
GENERALLY used as the return, because they specifically mention the
odd case where it DOES get used , SWERT, as an anomoly (being out of
the ordinary)

Just admit it. You don't like to be "wrong" - but in this case, you
and the sources you reference ARE.

You're getting too personal. This is not a personal issue.
We are all among friends here.
This is merely a discussion about what the TRUTH is.

I don't see a single reference in all your posts which state that
the earth is not used as the return path for electrons in typical
American power distribution.

In contrast, I have provided a half-dozen references which directly
state that the earth is used as the return path for electrons in
power distribution in the United States.

For example, read this reference:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcarde...ecPwr_HSW.html

Which states, clearly as the sun shines on the truth:
"The power company essentially uses the earth as one of
the wires in the power system. The earth is a pretty good
conductor and it is huge, so it makes a good return path
for electrons."

This is from this electrical engineering class:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/Courses/EGR220/
EGR 220, Spring 2013, Engineering Circuit Theory

Taught by this associate professor:
http://www.science.smith.edu/~jcardell/

Again, this is not a personal issue. I don't care if I'm right or
wrong. I don't care if you are right or wrong.

I just want to know what the truth is.
And, if this EE class is wrong, then I would think we can find a single
reference that refutes the statement I quoted.

I can't find any. No matter how hard I look.
Can you?