Posted to alt.home.repair
Nightcrawler® Nightcrawler® is offline

Default 2-phase mains power in the USA?

wrote in message ...
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:30:08 -0600, Nightcrawler®
wrote:

In fact, all wires in a conduit must be insulated.

Not true at all.
The neutral will be required to be insulated after the service
disconnect where the grounding electrode conductor lands and you will
have to keep it separate from the ground after that. (typically 4
wires now)

At that point the ground can remain uninsulated.
It does not matter if that is in a cable or in a conduit.

It might be grandfathered in, but was never allowed in any new
service installation I was ever around. Could just be local
addendums to code. I don't think I have ever met a smart electrician
that would pull a bare wire in a conduit run. Hell, most do not
like pushing a metal fish-tape through an "in use" conduit. Those
that do often pay the price. Heheh, I do have some stories
on things of that nature.

If a neutral is allowed bare in a metallic conduit, then that conduit
is now a charged entity, theoretically, and goes against the "only
one bonding point to ground" rule. They wouldn't use insulators for
the anchor point for messenger cables at the weatherhood, either.

Just sayin'...