Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default 2-phase mains power in the USA?

Danny D'Amico wrote:

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:53:24 +1100, John G wrote:

I don't believe anyone has said the neutral is not insulated.

I thought it was said here, but, maybe I misinterpreted the quote?

The utility service drop from the pole to the house typically has the
neutral conductor uninsulated. From that point forward to the meter and
the house distribution panel the neutral is insulated. In the house the
ground conductors are typically not insulated, and the ground and
neutral are bonded together only at the distribution panel. The neutral
is a current carrying conductor that is ground*ed*, but being current
carrying it may not be at ground potential at all points. The ground is
a ground*ing* conduction that carries no current except under fault
conditions. The service drop to the house does not contain a ground
conductor, only the neutral and two hot conductors.