Posted to alt.home.repair
seamus seamus is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On 11/25/2013 05:25 PM, wrote:
Tell that to my lying scope. You put the two hot legs of the
split-phase service on a scope and what do you see?

How many phases does your oscilloscope show when you put the probe *reference clip* on L1 and the probe *tip* on L2?
(Mine shows a single-phase sin wave)

What is the peak to peak voltage when you put the probe *reference clip* on L1 and the probe *tip* on L2?

What is the RMS voltage when you put the probe *reference clip* on L1 and the probe *tip* on L2?

For whatever it's worth, my single-phase central air unit is powered only by L1, L2. The neutral is not used.