Posted to alt.home.repair
John G John G is offline

Default 2-phase mains power in the USA?

After serious thinking Danny D'Amico wrote :
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:29:02 -0500, Patty wrote:

IIRC, current carrying (line and neutral) conductors in a conduit must be
insulated.

I don't disagree.

It seems to me that if the load is imbalanced on circuit A versus circuit B
(which is almost certainly likely to happen at some time or another), then
there *will* be current in the neutral. Period.

If there is current, and if there is resistance, there is a potential.
Period.

So, it seems to me, it's a mighty good idea to insulate the neutral.
Clearly mine is well insulated.

It would be nice to see pictures from other typical homeowners in the USA
as to whether theirs is insulated or not.

I don't believe anyone has said the neutral is not insulated.

ONLY the ground can be Uninsulated or GREEN or GREEN and YELLOW
The Neutral is generally white and the 2 actives are black or red.

--
John G